The Sovereign Majestic Theater is a renovated 1910 movie theater that now serves as a performing arts facility in the heart of downtown Pottsville. It is a 224-seat venue for live theater, music, classes, movies and children's performances.
Built in 1910, the eclectic style, two-and-a-half story building with a Beaux Arts-classical facade is one of only two reverse screen theaters remaining in Pennsylvania and the only theater in downtown Pottsville.
In its heyday, it was the destination for fans of westerns and serials before closing its doors in 1930. The building remained empty for nine years before being reopened as a Farmers Market in 1939 by the Baker Family of Bloomsburg. Despite ownership changes over the next three decades, the Farmers Market served as the primary use of the building until its close in August 1995.
The Pottsville Area Development Corporation (PADCO), the primary community and economic development agency for the City of Pottsville, and Sovereign Majestic Theater Association (SMTA) purchased the building in January 2001 and transformed it into a regional performing arts center.