On February 5, 1824, Samuel Vaughan Merrick and William H. Keating founded The Franklin Institute of the State of Pennsylvania for the Promotion of the Mechanic Arts. Located in the Philadelphia County Court House (known today as Independence Hall), The Franklin Institute's purpose was to honor Ben Franklin and advance the usefulness of his inventions.
Today, more than one hundred and seventy five years after the Institute's founding, The Franklin Institute Science Museum continues to offer new and exciting access to science and technology in ways that would both amaze and delight Mister Benjamin Franklin.
In the spirit of inquiry and discovery embodied by Benjamin Franklin, the mission of The Franklin Institute is to inspire an understanding of and passion for science and technology learning.
The Franklin Institute Science Museum is located in Center City Philadelphia, at the intersection of 20th Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. The Museum's parking garage entrance is located behind the building at the intersection of 21st Street and Winter Street. Note that oversized vehicles will not fit into the garage. The height limit is 6'5".