Started by concerned residents, the Schuylkill Canal Association evolved from the original canal advisory committee in Upper Providence Township. From the beginning the group has watched over and maintained the only remaining reach of the Schuylkill Navigation outside of Philadelphia. The area is leased from the Pa. Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Abandoned Mine Reclaimation, by the township and is open to all as a recreational area.
The Schuylkill Canal Association has focused on the maintenance and restoration of the area as a prime objective. The extensive canal stonework and 1836 locktender's house demand constant attention and maintenance, usually performed by volunteer labor. The Association is currently working on the restoration of the locktender's house, excavation and reconstruction of the lock mitre gates at Lock 60 and further stabilization of the waterway.